Approximately 1 week after appliance removal retainers will be fitted. The retainers are removable and should be worn approximately 22 hours a day for 10 weeks, unless directed otherwise by Dr. Lenhart and Dr. Sherman.
Rules for Retainers:
- Retainers can be removed for brushing the teeth, eating meals, swimming, and contact sports.
- Retainers should be cleaned daily using mild dish soap or cleaning tablets (Retainer Brite, Polident, Efferdent). DO NOT brush retainers with toothpaste.
- Retainers can be broken or lost outside the mouth, so please make sure they are handled carefully. Even the best pets love to eat retainers!
- Call us right away if the retainer is lost or broken: (419) 882-6970.
- Retainers may need to be replaced periodically due to normal wear and tear.
- We cover any manufacturing defects in the retainer for up to 1 year from delivery.
- A charge will be made for each retainer that has to be repaired or replaced due to loss or neglect.
- Retainer wear is a lifetime commitment! The amount of wear will be reduced in accordance with our recommendations, but retainer wear must continue in some capacity to keep the teeth in the ideal positions.
Some patients have a lower fixed wire, which is glued to the back of the lower teeth.
- It is important to use floss threaders to clean under the wire.
- If anything is loose or broken, please call us ASAP during business hours.
- This wire is considered semi-permanent and will need maintenance.
- It may eventually need repairs and/ or replacement. Repair and replacement are covered for up to 1 year.
If you are in need of a retainer, but we did not complete your orthodontic treatment, we are happy to help! Please call (419) 882-6970 to schedule an appointment.